The Main Types of Wooden Crates and Pallets for Transportation
Brisbane companies have several choices on offer when it comes to transporting their goods. Usually it is a question of balancing cost with protection and convenience. Here we look at the types of wooden pallets and wooden crates available.
Crates are wooden, metallic or plastic boxes used to transport goods. Wooden crates are the most popular because they are usually easy to make, light and strong, offering cost savings but adequate protection at the same time.
The main types of wooden crates are:
- Fully enclosed – the only gaps are slits for expansion
- Gabled – sizable gaps are visible between the boards
- Flat pack – these are assembled by the customer
All these types of crates can be used for export or storage. They are usually designed with thick wooden bottom runners so that they can be picked up and moved around by a forklift or pallet truck.
Crates will be available in some standard sizes, though most manufacturers will make crates to measure if internal dimensions and approximate weights are known. This is particularly useful when you need to transport items with unusual shapes or requiring enhanced protection.
Pallets are strong, flat, slatted structures that support goods in a stable fashion while being lifted or moved (usually by a forklift or pallet jack).
They can be made of plastic, metal or recycled material, but wooden pallets are by far the most popular in Brisbane. They usually come in two main types:
- Hardwood pallets – the strongest and most durable pallets manufactured, and are built to support a large range of products, many of them heavy duty. The regular Australian Standard pallets are 1165 mm × 1165 mm to fit to Australian rail containers, but custom-made pallets are also available.
- Pine pallets – these are popular because of their light weight and lower cost. They are available in the same standard sizes are custom-made dimensions as required.
Palletmasters is the leading supplier of wooden crates and pallets in Brisbane. We have over 25 years of experience in the transportation industry and manufacture large volumes of crates and pallets in our Brisbane factory. Call us now on (07) 3283 4288 for a quote.